Today (Tuesday, December 31st) is another special admission day here at the Zoo! We invite you to enjoy one free youth admission with one paid adult admission all day. Gates open at 10 a.m. and close at 3 p.m. while the Zoo grounds and ZooShop remain open until 4 p.m. Do you need another reason to visit? How about a bunch of reasons?
- Many of the Zoo’s animals are more active in cold weather – My favorite big cat, Kaba, our male snow leopard shown at the right, ran along the fence with me this morning as I made my way from the front of the Zoo to the E.C.O. Center. Expect to see polar bears, Canadian lynx and Amur tigers enjoying temperatures similar to their native climes.
- There are some beautiful interlopers on the Genesee Trail. The pond by the bald eagles becomes a winter haven for some smart teals and mallards who have realized that our pond doesn’t freeze, and that meals come at regular intervals.
- Animals from warmer climates don’t mind the cold. Watch our lions play in the snow! That should be all the incentive you need.
- The 2014 Seneca Park Zoo Calendar is 50% off at the ZooShop! Pick up a few of these stunning calendars as last minute gifts, or the perfect addition to your office wall. Other unique items are now on sale as well.
Do you have any resolutions for 2014? Perhaps you would like to give more of your time or resources to a worthy cause, like an organization that educates the community regarding animals, local wildlife and conservation. That is the Zoo!
The Zoo is the perfect place to volunteer your time – we have a lengthy list of events for 2014 for which we will need some enthusiastic volunteers. Join the corps of our general volunteers and you could help enhance the Zoo experience for others. More information may be found here. If you are looking to become a volunteer educator at the Zoo, consider becoming a docent. Our docents are a dedicated group of people with a passion for animals, the environment and the Zoo! Docent classes begin in March 2014, with two informational sessions scheduled for February 27th and March 1st, so click here for more information.
Is time something you can’t spare right now? Consider a monetary donation through the United Way. With payroll deductions, giving to the Zoo could not be easier! Enroll your United Way donation through your employer and designate Seneca Park Zoo (number 2439) as the beneficiary. There are many additional ways to donate as well, detailed here.
We wish you a Happy New Year and look forward to seeing you at the Zoo in 2014!
- Michele Schepisi-Ritchie, Office Assistant